Yesterday, S.Ward Casscells, M.D
, former U.S. Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, Brigadier General (Retired) James James, M.D. of the (AMA) American Medical Associatio
n, the University of Texas, with support from MedTech-IQ
member, Eric Noji, MD
, convened a remarkable meeting to explore strategies for using "Telemedicine and mHealth"
to help rebuild the healthcare delivery infrastructure in Haiti ...
The meeting attended by the Haitian Minister of Health, Alex Larsen, M.D
., was entitled "Telemedicine & mHealth in Haiti: Applying Global Lessons to the Development of Solutions"
, and included representatives from:
the U.S. Federal Government
- State Department (USAID), Department of Health and Human Services (CDC, NIH, NLM), Department of Defense (Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense, Health Affairs, TATRC); Academia
- University of Texas, Harvard University, University of Washington, Georgetown University, Johns Hopkins University, George Washington University, University of Puerto Rico;Industry
- Digicel Haiti, Datadyne, Deloitte, STRATITIA, Casscells & Associates, Noji Global Health & Security, The Global Telemedicine Group; and Civil Society
- American Red Cross, Project Hope, mHealth Alliance (representing the UN Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation and the Vodafone Foundation), Konbit Sante Haiti, the Association of Haitian Physicians Abroad
... Dr James opened the discussion on behalf of the host, the AMA, and pledged continuing support from the AMA's Center for Public Health Preparedness and Disaster Response
, and journal, Disaster Medicine and Public Health
Dr Casscells and Minister Larsen described the challenge in Haiti, and along with other symposium discussants described a number of areas in which Telemedicine (usually thought of as fixed location services faciliitated by telecommunications) and mHealth (usually considered mobile services using cell phones) can make a material difference...
- Dissemination of Public Medical Information
- Capture of Distributed Medical Information at the Point of Care (POC)
- As a Platform for Electronic Health Records (EHR)s
- Infectious Disease Biosurveillance
- Point of Care (POC) Decision Support Systems (DSS)
- Advanced Distributed Learning - Distance Learning
- Remote Diagnostics:Ultrasound, Miniature Microscopes & Electronic Stesthescopes
- Administration (Scheduling, Registration, Reporting, Order Management, Ect.)
- Supply Chain Management
- Cell Based Payment Systems
... Minister Larsen and his staff emphasized the need for developing robust systems for enhancing human capital thru ongoing training. The "Father" of modern telemedicine, Jay Sanders, M.D., emphasized the importance of not chasing technology for technology sake, but to focus on the clinical problem, and then choosing the right technology to solve the problem ..
... All in all, a good day, addressing a tough challenge. Let's hope this is only one of many continuing efforts to support the Haitian recovery ...
commends the conveners of this important meeting and pledges our support going forward ...