The Department of Health & Human Services' (HHS's) Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) ) today announced grants to support efforts by States and health systems to implement and evaluate patient safety approaches and medical liability reforms ...
... Overall funding for the initiative is $25 million, with $23 million allocated to grants and $2 million allocated to a final evaluation contract. The HHS Patient Safety and Medical Liability initiative supports the following:
- Grants to jump-start and evaluate efforts. Three-year grants of up to $3 million to States and health systems for implementation and evaluation of patient safety and medical liability
- Planning grants. One year grants of up to $300,000 to States and health systems in order to plan to implement and evaluate patient safety and medical liability demonstrations.
- Review of existing initiatives. In December 2009, AHRQ issued a review of reforms to the medical liability system and their impact on health care quality, patient safety, and medical
The funded projects are:
- Timothy McDonald, M.D., J.D., University of Illinois at Chicago, IL, $2,998,083.
- Stanley Davis, M.D., Fairview Health Services, Minneapolis, MN, $2,982,690.
- Eric Thomas, M.D., M.P.H., University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX, $1,796,575.
- Ann Hendrich, M.S., R.N., F.A.A.N., Ascension Health System, St. Louis, MO, $2,990,612.
- Thomas Gallagher, M.D., University of Washington, Seattle, WA, $2,972,209.
- Judy Kluger, J.D., New York State Unified Court System, New York, NY, $2,999,787.
- Alice Bonner, M.S., APRN, BC, Massachusetts State Department of Public Health, Boston, MA, $2,912,566.
- Lynn Marie Crider, J.D., Office for Oregon Health Policy and Research, Portland, OR $299,458.
- Richard David, M.D., John Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, $293,225.
- Dianne Garcia, J.D., Multicare Health System, Tacoma, WA, $291,810.
- Wendell Hoffman, M.D., Sanford Research, Sioux Falls, SD, $294,137.
- Elizabeth Guenther, M.D., M.P.H., University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, $299,999.
- Karen Domino, M.D., M.P.H., University of Washington, Seattle, WA, $295,837.
- David Baker, Ph.D., Carilion Medical Center, Roanoke, VA, $280,924.
- Kenneth Sands, M.D., M.P.H., Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, $273,782.
- Nicoletta Tessler, M.A., Psy.D., Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL, $299,576.
- Cynthia Shellhaas, M.D., M.P.H., Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, $187,437.
- John Buckley, M.D., Wishard Health Services, Indianapolis, IN, $154,124.
- Cindy Lou Corbett, Ph.D., Washington State University, Pullman, WA, $298,810.
- Steven Crane, M.D., NC State/Department HHS, Raleigh, NC, $297,710.
For details on each project go to: http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/liability/.
For more information, please contact HHS Press Office: (202) 690-6343; AHRQ Public Affairs: (301) 427-1855.