The Cutting Edge of Medical Technology Content, Community & Collaboration
The Plenary began with Karen Rheuban, MD, President of the American Telemedicine Association speaking briefly about her tenure as President of the association and
U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command and Fort Detrick who focused his
comments on the use of telemedicine and advanced medical technologies to
The U.S. Army Thurman Award for excellence in military telemedicine was presented to
COL Hon Pak, Chief Medical Information Officer of U.S. Army Medical Department.
The plenary concluded with Ronald Weinstein, MD, Director of the Arizona Telemedicine Program being named as a new President Emeritus of the American Telemedicine Association.
Other Annual Awards were presented to:
|ATA President’s Award: Individual
||Thomas S. Nesbitt, MD, MPH|
|ATA President’s Award: Institutional
|ATA President’s Award: Innovation
||Corventis AVIVO & Myca Health|
|ATA Industry Council Leadership Award
||Ron Emerson, RN, BSN|
|ATA Special Interest Group (SIG) & Chapter Achievement Award
||Pediatric Telehealth SIG|
|ATA Student Paper Award Nominees
||Deborah Seale, BA, MA, PhD
Katie Armstrong, H.BSc
Reema Nain, MS-MIS
|Telemedicine & e-Health Journal Award
|"Economic Evaluation of Telemedicine: Review of the Literature and Research Guidelines for Benefit–Cost Analysis"
María E. Dávalos, MA
Michael T. French, PhD
Anne E. Burdick, MD, MPH
Scott C. Simmons, MS
Rashid Bashshur, PhD, President Emeritus of ATA, presented the 2010 Class of Telemedicine Fellows. They included:
Bonnie P. Britton, MSN, RN
Charles R. Doarn, MBA
The ATA Industry Council, President's Circle Members named five new individuals to their Executive Committee:
Sunil Hazaray, President & CEO, Bayer Health
Joel Barthelemy, Managing Director, Global Media
Tom Woteki, PhD, Director, Healthcare Solutions, Cisco
Dan Constantino, President, Cardiocom
Steve Normandin, President, AMD Global Telemedicine
The Institutional Council, named four new leaders for the new Institutional Council Executive Committee:
Joe Tracy, MS, Vice President - Telehealth Services, Lehigh Valley Hospital & Health Network
Scott Simmons, MS, Director of Telehealth, University of Miami Telehealth
Curtis Lowery, MD, Medical Director, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences -
Alexander Vo, PhD, University of Texas Medical Branch
The International Telemedicine Forum representing over 35 countries discussed issues related to cross-border telehealth. The meeting focused specifically on the use of mHealth in developing nations and the role of telemedicine in emergency response and disaster situations.
Highlights: Monday, 17 May 2010
Monday's peer-reviewed telemedicine educational sessions with links to abstracts included:
Clinical Services: General
Clinical Services: Telemental Health
• Successful Integration of Telemental Health: From Store and Forward...
• Telemental Health in the VA: A National Model of Expansion and Outc...
• Training the Next Generation of Psychiatrists on Telemedicine to Im...
• Telemental Healthcare in Clinical Unsupervised Settings
• Advancing TBI and PTSD Diagnosis, Treatment and Management Through ...
Emergency & Disaster Response
• Disaster Preparedness: Enhancing Surge Capacit and Partnership Effort
• The Role of the Tele-ICU in Mass Casualty and Emergency Preparedness
• Telehealth's Pivotal Integration in Disaster Response
• Remote Support for Emergency Departments and Trauma Care
• Leveraging Telemedicine Technology for Response to Public Health Em...
Operations, Business & Finance
• Innovative Concepts and Business Models for Telehealth
• Successful Demonstrations of DOD Telementoring and Teleconsulting f...
• Quantifying Value: Cost Benefit in Telehealth
• Surgical Telementoring Pilot Project in the Military
• Management Tools for Telehealth
• Unique Approaches in Implementing Telemedicine Services
• Mainstreaming Telemedicine to Address Critical Shortages in Inpatie...
• Making the Connection: Improving the Reach of Telemedicine
• Sustainable Telemedicine in Respource Limited Settings: How can we ...
• The Role of Compliance in Telehealth Adoption
• Policy Initiatives Attacking Stroke
• Ocular Telehealth Reimbursement
• New Developments in Government Telehealth Policy
• Government Regulatory Issues Facing Telemedicine
• Universal Service Program's Support for Rural Healthcare
Remote Monitoring, Consumer & Mobile Health
• Successful Applications of Telemedicinein Medical Home Models
• Improving Access to Care: Project Outcomes for Home-Based Telemedic...
• Patient Care Through Mobile Communications
• Remote Monitoring for Diabetes Management: From Mobile Technologies...
• Exploring Clinical Evidence in Remote Monitoring Applications
Technology & Telecommunications
• Using Mobile Devices for Healthcare Monitoring: Promises and Challe...
• The Development, Deployment and Evaluation of mCare: Mobile Telepho...
• The Role of Technology in VA Rural Outreach Clinics
• Expanding a US Army-Wide Tele-TBI Infrastructure Across 14 Time Zon...
• Medical Simulation At A Distance for Remote Training and Research
The following Industry Executives spoke about the future of telemedicine, from a corporate perspective:
• Randall S. Moore, MD, MBA, CEO, American TeleCare
• Paul Bromberg, VP and GM, Remote Patient Monitoring, Philips Healthcare Solutions
• Michael Taylor, Director of Marketing, CareFusion
• Daniel L. Cosentino, MBA, CEO, President, Cardiocom
• Matt Sanders, CEO, iMetrikus
• Rick Cnossen, MS, Standards Technology Manager, Intel Corporation
• Jayant Parthasarathy, Business Manager - eHealth, Nonin Medical
• Clint McClellan, Senior Director of Market Development, Qualcomm
• Jim Woodburn, MD, MS, VP & Medical Director, Clinical Initiatives, OptumHealth, UnitedHealth Group
• Dan McCafferty, VP Global Sales & Corporate Development, AMD Global Telemedicine
• Robert Moore, General Manager - Commercial, Disease Management, GE Healthcare
• Lance James, CEO, e-Telmed
• Derek Newell, President and CEO, Robert Bosch Healthcare
• Nathanial Findlay, CEO, Myca
• Ron Emerson, Global Director of Healthcare, Polycom
• Linda Branagan, Director of Telemedicine, Medweb
• Sabina Chiara Coraluppi, Director of Operations, Chorus Call,Inc.
• Robyn Fulkerson, Director, Sykes Assistance Services Corporation
• Jay Couse, Senior Vice President, Healthcare, Diversinet
• Michelle Violette, Business Analyst / Relationship Manager, Healthanywhere Inc.
• David Morrison, Senior Product Manager, LifeSize Communications, a division of Logitech