reports on greater than anticipated T-Mobile orders for its Google Android phone available on 22Oct08 with pre-order. Rumors circulate that the $179 cost (guaranteed only through 22Oct08) will rise to ~ $400. See video
from T-Mobile and Google founders… Continue
Added by Clymer/JR on October 8, 2008 at 10:29am —
My bona fides:
1) I'm a technophile, not a technologist
2) I have had a love-hate relationship with Apple™, going back to 1987. Be it the PowerBook, the iPod, or the iPhone, Apple's entry into a market-space is not merely a game changer, but more elemental, a market "definer". The Apple user experience is truly nonpareil. That said, the company has historically been driven by proprietary closed systems that inhibit/punish any collaboration from "unapproved" sources.
3) I… Continue
Added by Clymer/JR on October 3, 2008 at 8:00pm —
eWeek has a good review
of the status of cloud computing as an enterprise solution for business and government. A second
article addresses the timing of Clouds in dominating the IT landscape. Cloud providers
abound including… Continue
Added by Clymer/JR on October 3, 2008 at 10:00am —
Check out the Washington Center for Complexity & Public Policy
Their raison d'etre is explained as follows:
In the last thirty years a major revolution has occurred in the scientific understanding of complex systems—systems where the components are strongly interrelated, self-organizing and dynamic whether biological, ecological, technical or social—and complexity science represents a new interdisciplinary approach to studying these types of… Continue
Added by Clymer/JR on October 2, 2008 at 7:30pm —
reports that Wal-Mart is offering some of its employees personal health records using technology from WebMD Health and Dossia, an employer coalition. Wal-Mart is one of eight companies involved in Dossia. This could be an interesting development on the tail of the GoogleHealth, Microsoft HealthVault & Aetna PHR launches. Are we approaching a tipping point?
Added by CC-Conrad Clyburn-MedForeSight on October 2, 2008 at 2:27pm —
Excellent Forbes article
on what universities are monetizing their research & how. Forbes extracts data from the recent AUTM (Association of University Technology Managers) 2006 report on what universities are most successfully translating academic discovery to market. Your comments?
Added by CC-Conrad Clyburn-MedForeSight on October 1, 2008 at 2:30pm —
A message to all members of MedTechIQ
- As recommended by MedTechIQ members, Chuck Doarn, Editor In Chief, Telemedicine & eHealth Journal and Peter Yellowlees, Deputy Editor, MedScape Journal of Medicine, we've established direct links to those publications. We have also established a link to MedTechIQ member, Bertalan "Berci" Mesko's, excellent medical bolg - ScienceRoll.
- We have also been favored by the joining of a number of interesting… Continue
Added by CC-Conrad Clyburn-MedForeSight on October 1, 2008 at 6:00am —
A message to all members of MedTechIQ
- As noted earlier, I will take the liberty from time to time to update you on the some of the "New Members" who have joined us & "News You Can Use".
- "New Members":
* Charles Doarn, Co-Editor In Chief, Telemedicine and e-Health Journal
* Joan Dzenowagis, Health Internetworking, World Health Organization
* Marc Holland, Research Director, Health Industry Insights
* Dale Alverson, Medical… Continue
Added by CC-Conrad Clyburn-MedForeSight on September 27, 2008 at 6:00am —
The National Institute of General Medical Sciences, part of the National Institutes of Health, has awarded more than $15 million over five years to the University to support the new Chicago Center for Systems Biology.
Researchers will study how networks of genes work together to enable cells and organisms to respond to environmental and genetic change.
The center also represents collaboration among researchers at Chicago-area universities— University of Illinois at… Continue
Added by CC-Conrad Clyburn-MedForeSight on September 25, 2008 at 2:30pm —
Latest on Google's upcoming Android
release. More details
Added by Clymer/JR on September 23, 2008 at 2:00pm —
This week Don Tapscott addressed the Swift International Banking Operations Seminar
(SIBOS'08) in Vienna, Austria. He focused on the current liquidity crisis through the prism of Wikinomics 101
. Also read his press release
. Timely and… Continue
Added by Clymer/JR on September 23, 2008 at 12:30pm —
41% of 500 companies surveyed by the IT consultancy Avanade
, say social media has the potential to transform their customer relationships, improve their reputations and increase sales.
According to the report, companies around the globe said that:
o Social media technologies have the potential to transform the way companies build and manage relationships… Continue
Added by CC-Conrad Clyburn-MedForeSight on September 21, 2008 at 3:40pm —
reports that Maryland is gearing up to launch a new agency for its life-sciences economic-development effort early next year — part of a series of industry-building moves that include a reorganization announced last week for the existing department charged with job attraction and retention. Early last year, shortly after taking office, Governor Martin O’Malley and state lawmakers agreed to create the… Continue
Added by CC-Conrad Clyburn-MedForeSight on September 17, 2008 at 7:57am —
A recent survey
confirms the growing use of Epocrates
as an Apple iPhone add-on, having become popular not only among healthcare providers, but the general public as well. This would appear to bode well for personalized medicine
, and the inchoate PHR (Personal… Continue
Added by Clymer/JR on September 16, 2008 at 5:00pm —
On 26Aug2008, the Brookings Insitutution published its ratings
of eGov sites employed by federal and state entities. Another recent report
analyzes the currency of worlwide government use of the internet. Among many Brookings observations, I'd highlight the following:
Despite the great promise of technological advancement,… Continue
Added by Clymer/JR on September 16, 2008 at 10:00am —
What kinds of policies can improve the performance of U.S. innovation? In a new BusinessWeek
article & video interview by Michael Mandel, the magazines Chief Economist, he reports that an increasing number of experts & policy makers believe its time for new ideas. Some suggest giving companies credit on their tax returns for 40% of the money… Continue
Added by CC-Conrad Clyburn-MedForeSight on September 16, 2008 at 2:00am —
In response to this question biodefense expert Dave Balch wrote:
Off hand, I can't think of any readily available video clips. Tell me a little more about what you are looking for--length, type of video, etc.
However, I do have a couple of new links which might be relevant on this page.
White Paper: “Developing a National Inventory of Telehealth Resources for Rapid and Effective Emergency Medical Care: A White Paper Developed by the American… Continue
Added by CC-Conrad Clyburn-MedForeSight on September 15, 2008 at 2:30pm —
A message to all members of MedTechIQ
- We have just been joined by 2 important new members:
- Dr Ken Curley, MD. Long time Chief Scientist of the U.S. Army Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Center (TATRC). One of the most broadly knowledgeable individuals in the domain of advanced medical technology, especially as it relates to neuroscience.
- Dr Ian Foster, Phd, Director, Computation Institute, University of Chicago &… Continue
Added by CC-Conrad Clyburn-MedForeSight on September 15, 2008 at 6:00am —
report that Fortune 500 companies and the National Laboratories are collaborating to create new products & companies.
Added by CC-Conrad Clyburn-MedForeSight on September 13, 2008 at 9:00am —
The Wall Street Journal
reports that Marc Feldmann and Ravinder Maini, scientists from the Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology at Imperial College London have won the second Dr. Paul Janssen Award for Biomedical Research. The pair was honored by J&J for work that paved the way for drugs called TNF inhibitors, used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory… Continue
Added by CC-Conrad Clyburn-MedForeSight on September 12, 2008 at 9:19pm —